Monday, September 9, 2013

Italy Day 4 - Rome Day 3 (Sat., 9/7/13)

We ate breakfast at the hotel again, then walked over to the Collesium. Turns out it is only about 10 minutes away from the hotel. Uphill, of course. We walked around and took pictures on an unofficial self-guided tour. We bought some souvenirs in the gift shop for our people back home. 

Afterward we took the Metro to Termini to shop for shoes and walk around awhile. I bought some sneakers at the Footlocker so I could give my feet a break. Turned out, however, the shoes were not good for my feet. I got hot spots that burned my toes. Woe. I wished I had brought my own sneakers from home. They are very good for my feet and never "bite." A word about that, too. Before taking this trip I researched what to wear in Italy. All the blogs I saw said, "Don't wear sneakers; don't wear Levi's." And what am I seeing all over the place? Sneakers and Levi's. Not only on Ugly Americans, but they are selling them in the Stores, too! So much for looking good.

Because my shoes didn't hurt yet, we took the Metro over to the Spanish Steps.I took pictures of Dennis as he ran up the steps to the very top!

Then we walked over to Via del Corso, the major shopping district in the center of Rome. Then we walked back by the ruins near the Colosseum and had lunch at a very nice restaurant. We walked back to the hotel (we thought we were lost, but Dennis found a way back that happened to go right by the gelato shop. We bought some and took it down to the fountain to eat it sitting on the steps. There is always a crowd there.

We went back to the hotel to rest for another foray later in the evening. That night we searched for another dessert place, but ended up going back to the same place as the night before. We ate outside again and struck up a conversation with a mature (like us)  gentleman sitting next to us. Turns out he was previously CEO of Shell Oil and had some interesting stories to tell. We visited for quite a while and then said our goodbyes and went to the hotel for our last night there.

No comments:

Post a Comment