Sunday, March 13, 2011

Trail Ride on Thursday

Now I really feel we're back on schedule. Lesson on Wednesday and Trail Ride on Thursday. That's the name we've given to our trail riding "group" of two: me and Joyce. Others may join us from time to time, too, but it's usually only Joyce and I. This was only the second time we've gone to Cuyamaca since my accident last August. Last week we also rode in Cuyamaca because the Lagunas had quite a bit of snow from the last storm. Horses can ride in the snow (Doc likes it), but ice is problemmatic. No one wants to be slipping and sliding on ice riding on horseback, not to mention falling and being crushed by a 1,000-lb. horse.

Even Cuyamaca was somewhat challenging due to all the rain from the storm. Trails we've ridden easily before the storm were running streams last week when we rode. This Thursday's ride, however, was uneventful except for the tree on the trail incident. We were almost back to the parking lot on a narrow trail with a cliff on the right when we came upon a fairly large v-shaped tree limb that the horses would have to step over twice. It was too much for Doc and he balked and started to back up toward the cliff, which was too much for me. Joyce got off her horse and tried to move the limb, but it was too heavy, so she walked her horse over the logs and I did the same. Then, because of my stupid knee and my short legs, I had to hunt down a big rock or tree stump to use as a mounting block. We found a large stump at the mounted patrol's camp so I was able to climb up and mount from there, and we were off riding again.   A good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment