Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Three-Bean Vegetarian Chili

I made this in a slow cooker tonight. It's a bit spicy, so if you want to try it, you can adjust the chili powder and cajun seasoning. I like it spicy, though. You don't need a slow cooker, either. Last time I made it, I just used a dutch oven on the stovetop. I suppose you could bake it, too.

Company coming? This is an easy, no fail dish you can serve with a green salad and sour-dough bread.

Three-Bean Vegetarian Chili

1 15-oz. can no-salt-added red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 15-oz. can small white beans, rinsed and drained
1 15-oz. can low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes and green chile peppers, undrained
1 cup beer or chicken broth
3 tablespoons chocolate-flavored syrup
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
Dairy sour cream as topping (optional)
Shredded cheddar cheese (optional)

Note: When I made this, I didn't drain the beans, just emptied the cans in the slow cooker. The result was a more liquid chili and I liked it that way. I've made this before doing it the "correct" way and that was good, too. I served this tonight with the sour cream and the cheddar cheese because I like both. You can leave out the cheese and/or the sour cream if you want, but you'll be missing something.

No comments:

Post a Comment